Reset Search



How do I obtain/renew a Housing Rental License?

« Go Back

Article Information

A Housing Rental License is required of any entity that rents any type of housing unit. It is also formerly known as Housing Inspection License (HIL). 2021 Updates for Rental License Holders are listed here.
  • A Housing Rental License is required for the following: multiple-family dwelling, rooming house, dormitory, condominium or hotel, or offering for rent a one- or two-family dwelling or rooming unit.
  • Vacant Property Licenses are required for vacant commercial and residential properties and lots.
  • The fee is $56 per unit for residential properties and $162 for vacant properties or vacant lots. A new shopping cart feature in eCLIPSE is now ready. This allows customers to make payments on multiple licensees by consolidating them into a single transaction. A How-to Guide is already posted on the website on the ‘Help using eclipse’ page.
  • A City of Philadelphia Business Tax Account (BIRT) and a Commercial Activity License (CAL) are required before applying for a Housing Rental License.
  • Everyone listed on the deed must be listed on the business tax account and business license.
  • If more than a single-family dwelling, the total number of units must be listed on the license and the fee paid is per unit.
  • If the property is an owner-occupied duplex, the owner does not need to obtain a Commercial Activity License (CAL) but is required to obtain a School Income Tax (SIT) from the Revenue Department and must only pay the fee for the one unit that is rented but still must claim two units.
For the owner to qualify for this exemption, the owner's name must be the same on the title deed, the license application, and some independent verification which indicates that this is the owner's legal address (driver's license, current utility bill excluding water). This exemption is only valid for owner-occupied properties with 2-4 family dwellings. Although no CAL is required, you are still required to obtain a SIT (School Income Tax) from the Revenue Department.

Check here for a full list of items needed to rent a property.

If the owner resides outside of Philadelphia, an agent who resides within the city limits must be designated by the owner to forward notices, orders, or summonses to the owner.
  • Agent qualifications: Agent must be a person over the age of eighteen (18) who lives in Philadelphia or is regularly available at a Philadelphia address.
  • If the agent's address is a business address, a Commercial Activity License must be registered there.
  • An agent terminating their services must give notice to L+I, License and Issuance Unit, and include in the notice the owner's name and address, the address of the property, and the license number. The owner is required to designate a new agent within thirty (30) days.
  • The owner can designate an agent at any time by filling out an amended application with the signature of the agent. There is no additional charge for a change of agent.
  • An owner who does not live in Philadelphia and is not regularly available at a Philadelphia address is not permitted to act as an agent.
  • If the rental property was purchased within the last six months, you must provide a signed settlement sheet or recorded deed.
  • For complete information and application, visit
Prior Approvals (ZONING):
  • Commercial Activity License
  • Business Income and Receipts Tax Account Number
  • Federal Employee (Tax) Identification Number (FEIN) or Social Security Number (for an individual)
  • *** Zoning Approval (for two or more units) ***
  • Lead Paint Disclosure and Certification
Prior to Renting, you must provide a:
  • Certificate of Rental Suitability
  • Rental Property Lead Certificate
  • Bed Bug Control Plan
  • Copy of "Partners in Good Housing"
  • Lease

Payment Information

Interest and Penalties – Beginning February 1, 2021, a delinquency fee of 1.5% per month will be charged to all licenses that are more than 60 days past due. Please renew your rental license (and other licenses) on time to avoid additional charges.
  • To renew your license, log on to your eCLIPSE account and submit your license renewal application. You can visit the L&I website to get help with eCLIPSE.
  • If you are no longer renting out the property, you must close your license by contacting the 311 Philly Help Center at or (215) 686-8686.

RETURNED CHECKS: If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds, (1) you authorize The City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20; and (2) The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.

Accepted Forms of Payment:
Online through the eCLIPSE application 
  • Electric Check
  • Credit Card (2.5% Surcharge)
In-person at the Permit and License Center in the Municipal Services Building
  • Electric Check
  • Credit Card (2.5% Surcharge)
In-person at the Cashier’s Station in the Municipal Services Building
  • Electric Check
  • Credit Card (2.5% Surcharge)
  • Check
  • Money Order
Also see What are the current L+I fees for licenses and permits and zoning?

and Do I need a rental license for family to live in my property? What is an Affidavit of Non-Rental?

and Can I pay for more than one Trade or Business License at once?

A document to address the most frequently asked questions related to tax information or issues encountered during the license application or renewal process. This FAQ document is already posted on the website on the ‘Help using eclipse’ page.



Was this article helpful?



Please tell us how we can make this article more useful.

Characters Remaining: 255